I recently came across the delightful expression ‘makes your heart sing,’ to describe that about which a person is passionate. My husband, Barrie, read it out to me from the book, Talk Like TED, by Carmine Gallo. I love that expression because it so aptly describes that something inside of you that has to be given voice. If that expression truly means something to us, then we have probably found our passion.
I consider myself really fortunate to know what ‘makes my heart sing’, even if it did take me many years to recognise it and accept it. If you know what ‘makes your heart sing,’ then all that you have to do now is hold on to your dream – follow your heart. Here are some ways to stay in that place of following your heart.
• Consider how lucky you are to have found the thing that makes your heart sing. There are many people who have no idea what makes theirs sing, but would truly love to feel the way that you do. You owe it to yourself to pursue your dream – follow your heart.
• Surround yourself with positive, encouraging people. My job is in harmony with that which makes my heart sing. That isn’t always possible, but it is always possible to find an outlet somewhere.
• Remember that there are killjoys out there who will intentionally discourage you. I work with some of the really vulnerable people in society and still have people putting down the work that I do. I ignore them because they have never walked in the shoes of the people in need.
• In the same vein, there will always be people to tell you that the thing that makes your heart sing is not possible. Ignore them too.
• Write a journal – I know I’ve often said that, and it’s probably because I’m a writer, but putting all the steps that you have taken down on paper shows you the progress that you have made. You can see the journey more clearly and it helps you not to lose sight of the destination.
• Make room in your life to pursue that which makes your heart sing. If your life is too cluttered, you need to get rid of things. Don’t feel guilty, after all, if you are following your heart you will ultimately give so much more to life. Say ‘no’ to things that leave you cold. Stop doing what is expected of you and do those things that fill your heart with song.
• Don’t keep looking back wondering what would have happened if you had started 5 years ago or any other ‘what if’ scenarios. You are here now and have the power to begin anything that you want. Whether you can take small steps or big steps, keep going forward.
In the words of the American Hip-Hop recording artist,J Cole,
I’m here to spread a message of hope. Follow your heart. Don’t follow what you’ve been told you’re supposed to do.
You may never become famous, but if you follow your heart you can still be happy.